Wednesday, July 4, 2018

A Different Kind of Fireworks - Narnia Dispatches Wishes You a Happy Independence Day the OTP Way


America - by Claude McKay
1921

Although she feeds me bread of bitterness,
And sinks into my throat her tiger's tooth,
Stealing my breath of life, I will confess
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.
Her vigor flows like tides into my blood,
Giving me strength erect against her hate,
Her bigness sweeps my being like a flood.
Yet, as a rebel fronts a king in state,
I stand within her walls with not a shred
Of terror, malice, not a word of jeer.
Darkly I gaze into the days ahead,
And see her might and granite wonders there,
Beneath the touch of Time's unerring hand,
Like priceless treasures sinking in the sand.

                                                        Jenny Lake Grand Tetons WY - photo by Prairie Girl

Indeed, these are truly some of the most trying times for the United States, but the spirit and tenacity of a country cannot be forgotten under the ill-gotten representation of its present "leadership".  So, let's appreciate America's spirit and beauty that can be easy to forget these days. While we at Narnia can show a few teeth ourselves, we would not be here, if we did not still did not care what happens to our OTP's.


Always be a first rate version of yourself instead of a second-rate version of somebody else. - Judy Garland




















             4th of July parade in Friday Harbor, WA

"Nothing is impossible, the word itself says "I'm possible!" - Katherine Hepburn 




















                                                                          American-residents-to-be arriving at Ellis Island


You're not supposed to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality.  Wrong is wrong, no matter who says it. - Malcolm X.





 

 
 wild horses on the outer banks of North Carolina

 

 New Providence Senior Citizens Club




"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched - they must be felt with the heart." - Helen Keller





It does not require many words to speak the truth - Chief Joseph Nez Perce


 




Let's enjoy this 4th of July by eating foods that would terrify our forefathers - author not known

https://mrkevinmchale.tumblr.com/post/175445696475/also-watch-nanette-by-hannahgadsby-on
 








Narnia Dispatches wishes you all a happy Wednesday and for all Americans, a Happy 4th of July.   For America? We wish her a Happy Birthday.



pic sources: pinterest, shutterstock, lizmarie blog, KWCH, kinked 
                    webcam, humdor, ballisticarts, tumblr, gifer, 
                    weheartit
our playlist: Somewhere Over the Rainbow - Ella Fitzgerald
                    The Cowboy Medley - Larry Dalton & his          
                    Orchestra
                    The Grand March - The O'Neill Brothers
                    You're a Grand Old Flag - Danny Wright
                     God Bless the U.S.A. - 101 Strings Orchestra
                   
                   

9 comments:

prairiegirl said...

Isn't Adam Rippon just the best? He added just the right pizazz the whole thread.

And I changed Austin's photo since that one was a fan photo. I'm not sure where I got it either or else I could have at least kept it up with a credit acknowledgement.

Well, trying a new recipe today for 4th of July - it's Chick Fil A's recipe for their carrot raisin salad!! Woohoo, wish me luck. Their carrot raisin salad was just the best. I wish they hadn't discontinued it.

Happy 4th of July, America!

prairiegirl said...

BWAH! I forgot I had changed my avatar. Look at that little chihuahua, ha ha ha. That cracked me up.

prairiegirl said...

Whewee, all of these gorgeous men. Look at how Adam Levine is almost in Blake's chair, lol.

And I think Adam Lambert has one of the most joyous, shining smiles I've seen. His eyes light up and he looks like he'd be so easy to talk to, doesn't he? He's like Jared. Very at ease in their skin and people oriented.

Methodical Muser said...



What an adorable doggie. Happy 4th little pooch. And, to everyone stopping by Narnialand today.

At least the shot of Austin's legs in that photo doesn't highlight those chicken legs of his. Although it is the 4th of July; chicken legs might be appropriate. I get a kick out of that Louis gif everytime I see it. "Tried that, loved that." The mischievousness just rolls off of him, doesn't it? And, I learned something new today. I had no idea that there were wild horses on the beach in North Carolina. After googling the topic, I learned that they are descendants of the Spanish Mustang. In fact, they are now considered "feral" because of mixed bloodlines with some of the local thoroughbred stock. Translation: Somebody's been horsing around. LOL! I crack myself up.

The herd on Shackleford Banks lives on the southernmost island of the Outer Banks in the Cape Lookout National Seashore. Since the island is 3 miles offshore and only accessible by private watercraft or passenger ferry, seeing these horses really is an adventure. Self guided tours and photography are a popular option, and the Cape Lookout National Seashore’s Visitor Center on nearby Harker’s Island offers advice, tips and safety reminders for your trip to see the horses.

prairiegirl said...

Hey, don't be meant to Austin! lol. I don't think Jake minds his legs at all. *wink*

I think it would be cool to see wild horses.

destiny said...

Happy 4th of July everyone. Trying a new recipe for potato salad today--I had some great potato salad at a party and the maker told me she added a packet of the dry onion soup that people use for onion dip. Going to a barbecue later and seeing some old-fashioned, small town fireworks.

prairiegirl said...

Happy 4th and Happy 5th!
I sort of go back to work tomorrow - for half a day and am going to work from home. ;D I try not to work from home too often because I get bored with no one to talk to and also there's no where to go except my apartment. I miss everyone. It can be nice sometimes, but for the most part, I'm not a real fan of it.

The carrot raisin salad turned out fantastic, although it would have been the ultimate had I hand-grated the carrots myself and therefore, they would've been more finely grated. Instead I bought them already shredded and so they were a little thickly chopped. But otherwise, really good and just like Chick Fil A's. So a success!!

This day has been quite productive - am really pleased. Even got a bit of writing done.
:-)
Hope everyone is doing well and stay positive! I'm finding myself not on twitter as much lately. It's so depressing and negative. I know there is a lot to be displeased about with what's going on in this country, but I just cannot read that constantly. It's been bringing me down. So it's doing me a world of good to refrain at least from my gooses tile account anyway. Not so much my other account because at least that one, I can tweet about baseball. But then, my Royals are doing terrible! LOL. Ah well, it's all good.



prairiegirl said...

Uh oh! Time to change the avatar!

There we go. That's better. Well, bummer going back to the work laptop tomorrow. But at least it's just for 1/2 day.

prairiegirl said...

Sorry for the inactivity for a few days. There's a few things that a post can be done on, but I've been jacking around and enjoying a whole week off. Going to go out tonight with a friend, out into this blazing hot weather. Actually, it isn't as bad today as it's been, I don't think, but it's still darn hot. The kind of hot where you can just be standing in place and the sweat starts to trickle down from your forehead, that kind of hot, lol.

Going to be getting ready for a little over a week of watching some people's pets. The kitties are first, for my former co-worker and then after that, I'll head to my old neighborhood in Kansas City and watch little Mercy for awhile.

Thanks to everyone for coming to visit. We really appreciate it and we just want a place where we can post our observations and thoughts, share what we have learned, which unfortunately isn't usually good news, lol.

I know it's been awhile since a post has been done on Jared and Jensen, but it's not for lack of material. My beliefs haven't changed on anything with them, and now I'll just be curious how this upcoming season is going to go.

I visit Spn Goss a little more frequently lately than I used to since my twitter feed has dwindled quite a bit, some by my own choosing. Sounds like filming is about to start pretty soon. :-) I think the boys had to put in a bit more Austin time this summer hiatus than they have in the past.