Wednesday, December 9, 2020

Thank You, Brokeback Mountain - Today is 15 Years Since Its Release

 


Fifteen years ago today.

Some of you went to the movie theater that very opening weekend and saw a movie that you most likely will never forget.  Some of us, like myself, saw it later.  I saw Brokeback after its release while dogsitting and was showing on cable television (yes, "back in the day of cable"!).  

Brokeback forever impacted me from the very time that I saw it, just like Dead Man Walking did.  

On Wednesday, December 12, 2018, Brokeback Mountain was inducted into the National Film Registry of the Library of Congress.  The film is one of only 750 in the registry and that is a tremendous honor. 

To be inducted into the National Film Registry, a movie must be:

[deemed worthy of preservation for future generations due to (its) "cultural, historic and aesthetic importance to the nation's film heritage."] -  pink news

 

Librarian of Congress Carla Hayden identified the films in the National Registry as being inducted so that they can be protected  "because they document our history, culture, hope and dreams." - National Film Registry Turns 30 via Library of Congress, December 12, 2018

 

For an actor, I cannot imagine participating in a film which has been bestowed such an honor.  More than a statuette, even as prestigious as an Oscar, which is a sign of professional accomplishment and appreciation, to have a film you acted in, to be preserved because of cultural and historic impact of so many lives?  That is a forever touch, possibly a forever change.  What a mark to leave on so many.

 


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Narnia salutes and thanks all of the actors of this beautiful film, its director Ang Lee, author Annie Proulx, and everyone associated with its production.

 


 

pic sources:  giphy, IMP Awards,

our playlist:  Ave Maria - Kenny G

                     Joy To the World - Jim Brickman

                     Brokeback Mountain Suite - unknown (writer: Gustavo

                                                                   Santaolalla

 

 

3 comments:

prairiegirl said...

M&M is the one who read where Brokeback Mountain had been given the induction to the National Registry of Film. I had no idea what that was and so she pointed out what an honor it was.

I read up on it and yes, wow. What a prestigious honor. I know Jake is proud of being in the movie, but he should also be so proud of being a lead actor in a film that is in the Library of Congress because of its cultural impact. Wow.

And so the day I was reading about this, I happened to be poking around in You Tube and I had read this dramatic statement that the actress who played Jack Twist's mother had said to Heath Ledger to try and get across to him how important that last scene was in the movie. And I started bawling all over again.

So then I had to listen to the Brokeback Mountain Suite and that started the waterworks all over again.

All I have to do is listen to that theme and it just sends all of these feelings and emotions through me. That music was just brilliant.

prairiegirl said...

OH NOOOOO, my autumn cornstalk and pumpkin is still my avatar!! I've got to change that.

prairiegirl said...

Anyway, because I've got to get scooting and hit the hay, I thought I would share what Roberta Maxwell had said to Heath. Or maybe it was Ossana. It's kind of confusing the way the story wrote it (in the Huffington Post)


Ossana remembers Ledger as very lively and open during the making of the film, except for one scene, when Ennis visits Jack’s parents house after his death and finds his shirt hanging inside Jack’s in the closet.

“That one he was completely internal, and it affected him deeply,” Ossana said.

I said, ‘You know, when you find those shirts, what affects you so strongly is that you realize how much this man loved you.’ - Ossana

“He was very quiet,” said Roberta Maxwell, the actress who played Jack’s mother. “It was the last day, the last scene of a very long and hard, very difficult shoot.”

We talked about it, and I said. ‘You know, when you find those shirts, what affects you so strongly is that you realize how much this man loved you,’” Ossana said. “‘When you find out he’s dead, it signals to you how much you really loved him. The love is so vast. When you find those shirts, you discover what you lost.’”



That line just tore me up. "when you find those shirts, what affects you so strongly is that you realize how much this man loved you,"

I haven't done an HTML for a hyperlink in so long and I'm running late, so I'm going to give a Fisher Price link (I know, I know, I'm sorry!) because it was a very good article.

Written in 2015, it was a look back at the movie by those involved with the making of the film.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/brokeback-mountain-history-behind-the-scenes_n_5667c4eee4b080eddf562aef?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cucGludGVyZXN0LmNvLnVrL3Bpbi81MTE3OTE5NDUxMzQ1OTYwMTMv&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAACsSjMidyRJiOxvFhqv6m6H5A4LD8ZoQpf-LM6TkLn_-5ko7EivlA-HGkN6aS20MrIi3qo6jb-EjCqxKVXiN-o1DurHt8UuP5rw-ZvZcC0oigDnFagN7X3VzBgHUJWWKyKW4cf3j_FEoJCjaYAdJnKjeiSkBsjg2DDb87xDIiqKW