Tuesday, June 2, 2020

A Day of Contemplation and Wokeness


Narnia stood with many, many others today for some time of reflection and asking ourselves, where have I been? Have I stood up for those who have been treated unjustly? Isolated?  Had their rights taken away? Been abused, physically, emotionally or psychologically?




What hasn't been said already?  What hasn't been posted?  The pictures, the videos are all horrifying.  And every day, the violation of human rights seem to become more atrocious. 

I am fortunate to work for a global company that is very diverse.  We just went through a final migration to a new company, but the company I worked for before, was also very diverse.  They were also quite ahead of the game and had offered benefits for same-sex couples for several years. Marched at and encouraged employee participation in Pride parades. 

The company where I work at has been a race, religious and cultural melting pot for as long as I've worked there, which is most of my post-collegiate life.  Presently, as I was telling someone on twitter last night, my factory has four black team leaders - part of the management team.  They're all managers.  We also have several black supervisors and have had many in the past.  We have Asian Pacific, Hispanic, and South African workers.  I also work with many in the Indian and Muslim communities, mostly due to our online support.

I wish all businesses which are not so open and diverse could be like what I have been blessed to experience for quite awhile.  This is what we need.

I know that there are many criticisms online right now for participating in Blackout Tuesday, almost a hostile attitude.  I did not participate on any of my social media today, simply to try and show some solidarity.  Apparently, that seemed to be the inadequate thing to do.

But I'll tell you what I did do today.  I was at work and we have a new temporary worker who has been in my department since the beginning of April when my co-worker walked out on her job, leaving me and my supervisor to try and do three people's work. She's been a God-send and we get along quite well.  She's also African American and she's been dealing with some personal pain, plus joining me in working at an office which is mostly deserted due to most employees working from home.  But her and I have hooked arms together and we're dealing with the pandemic.

But today, I finally brought up what is happening because both her and I are having some trouble sleeping due to stress and worry about what's going on in our country.  And we talked about Trump and what he's doing.  Our "law enforcement" system.  We talked about spirituality and other things.  It wasn't an in-depth summit, but it was still an honest talk.  And she knows I'm there for her as a co-worker and fellow human.  In just two months, she and I have been through a lot together at work. You really do bond with people through experiences like this.

But this is the reality of it all - when you talk face to face about the toughest of subjects.  

Everyone has ways of helping and being present.  Being supportive.  There are many, many leaders out there - great speakers and those with a magical, effective way of speaking.   There are many wonderful, impacting voices speaking right now.  There's some real Man in the Mirror going on.  We all are learning and have also had more than a few Snap-Out-Of-It moments.  May we all be the better for it.

One of the most important tasks we can take care of though and I'll end with this - know when your election day is and make sure to vote.  The change cannot come soon enough - enough is enough.



Best regards and in peace,
Prairie Girl

playlist:  Burn the Ships - for King and Country
                      Man in the Mirror - Michael Jackson


2 comments:

prairiegirl said...

Of course, I can hear someone say already about my online support contacts and yes, you know how that works. Not all are online tech or software support - some are fellow colleagues. But regardless of whether they're outsourced or fellow employees, they're still people, right?


I'm pooped. Long day. Everyone stay safe.

Methodical Muser said...


Well said, PG. Well said. We are living in interesting times, for sure, but as Barack Obama just reminded us today, these are the kind of challenging times that test our convictions. Test what we truly believe. What kind of world we want to live in. How we can make a difference. Sometimes that action involves listening. Making room for those without a voice to be heard. Sometimes we need to take to the streets, supporting causes that bring us together, and never allowing anti-democratic forces to win the day. Put simply, in 2020 we are being asked to do better. To remember that this is our country. That our differences are our strength. Yes, history is asking us to do better and I believe that we can. As Martin Luther King reminds us, "We may have all come on different ships, but we're in the same boat now." Vote and continue voting. Continue to be involved. Run for office. Be the change you want to see. And, never fall prey to the cynicism of believing change is not possible. All that is required is the doing.

“Each time a man stands up for an ideal, or acts to improve the lot of others, or strikes out against injustice, he sends forth a tiny ripple of hope, and crossing each other from a million different centers of energy and daring those ripples build a current which can sweep down the mightiest walls of oppression and resistance.” RFK, 1966