Tuesday, January 24, 2017

From the Idea Room: A Queer Eye for the Straight Guy "New" and Rebooted

In yet another recycled idea for the benefit of screen viewers, Netflix announced today that they are bringing back a 2017 version of Queer Eye for the Straight Guy, with production to start in the spring.  Queer Eye was a reality show featuring heterosexual men who wanted an overall life makeover. The show aired on Bravo from 2003 through 2007.  There were five men who traveled across the country to help these men in need, remember them?  Carson Kressley, Ted Allen, Kyan Douglas, Thom Felicia and Jai Rodriguez.


Preliminary plans are for eight episodes of the re-do and it will be interesting to see if new and "2017" will be as popular as the original.   The original five stars went on to star on their own shows, guest star, or achieve some degree of professional success, but together on Bravo's Queer Eye for the Straight Guy, they were unique and developed a loyal fan base.  

From Sept 26, 2016, Carson Kressley


Ted Allen with partner Barry Rice


Kyan Douglas from 2013
 

Jai Rodriguez

And Thom Felicia
 


Awww, it would be nearly impossible to top these guys, what do you think?  It is extreme fun to go back and recall this lively show.
Hilarious to watch these old highlights...




pic sources:  CNN Media, Zimbio, Bravo, Aceshowbiz, Daily Mail
our playlist:  All Things Keep Getting Better - Wildlife (Queer Eye
                     for the Straight Guy theme)
                     Move Your Feet - Junior Senior (from Queer Eye
                      soundtrack)
                     Are You Ready for Love - Elton John (from Queer
                      Eye soundtrack)
                     Extraordinary - Liz Phair (from Queer Eye
                      soundtrack)


5 comments:

prairiegirl said...

I used to love that show and watched it all the time. Carson cracked me up as did Thom. And I thought Kyan was gorgeous. The show had a good run and I don't know why Netflix is trying to re-do it. But it was funny to watch those clips again and I remembered how unique and fun Queer Eye was.

I reckon most folks have seen the Oscar nominations came out this morning. Boy, they were announced early too - starting at 7am! The nominations for Actor in a Leading Role were Casey Affleck, Andrew Garfield, Ryan Gosling, Viggo Mortensen and Denzel Washington.

I can't say anything about the nominations because I didn't watch any of the movies. I'm sure Jake is greatly disappointed, although it's impossible to say how much he was hoping or expecting a nomination. Based on the other award nominations, it's difficult to believe he could have expected one from the Academy.

It must be frustrating for him and Austin after all of the theatrics they went through in November and December. Who knows why things didn't go his way; I'm not going to try and speculate.

But I'll tell you, if I were a voting member and I had looked at Jake's people's bullying tactics on Twitter with numerous and repetitive robot tweets whining and griping why Jake keeps getting looked over, isn't respected and when will he be recognized? That's only going to alienate and put off. Jake's people are ruining his chances even further. I can't help but feel that.

He just needs to keep trying and doing his best, I guess. I think there's a quote somewhere...

Jake Gyllenhaal has revealed that he acts to "learn about life" and not to pick up awards.

The Nightcrawler star told The Independent: "I don't do the job [for awards]. I do it to learn about life.


So it must be more important to his managerial team

the real m said...

Wow, I was a huge fan of the show too PG. it will be interesting to see how it plays today, I do think most men are a lot more sophisticated and aware now than back in the day but I guess we will find out. They will have a lot more freedom with Netflix - no censorship required.

As for Jake, I am sure he is disappointed but his name just did not come up as a strong candidate from any of the critics or pundits that had " most likely to be nominated" lists so I doubt he was surprised. I have not seen any of the movies either but they seemed to get consistent praise from everyone. even worse for him than no awards though are the sluggish box office receipts.

prairiegirl said...

Hi m!! Yeah, I read a quote from Carson where he said he wasn't too sure either if the show could be as successful now as it was back then.

In an interview in November, Kressley told CNN that he was unsure if a reboot would have the same impact as the original series.

"I think one of the key ingredients was that the straight guys were a little freaked out by us ... and now hopefully there's not that tension," he said.


Carson Kressley on the reboot

prairiegirl said...

That's really all he had to say about it, but I think he's right.

I walked into the shipping office today and on their radio, I heard "While You See a Chance" by Stevie Winwood. Hadn't heard that song for ages so thought I'd play it on the player tonight. :-)

Love some Steve Winwood. Whatever happened to that guy?

destiny said...

I just saw Nocturnal Animals this week, I went with Roma. Jake was good in it, but we both hated the movie and thought it had a really lame and bad script. I don't get why it got so much attention and talk about possible Oscars, although Michael Shannon's nomination is worthy.