Tuesday, August 8, 2017

Thanks for the Music, Rhinestone Cowboy - Rest in Peace, Glen Campbell


A one-night tribute to honor the memory of singer and guitarist, Glen Campbell who passed away today at the age of 81.  

We've lost some icons in the past year and a half, haven't we?  When I hear Wichita Lineman or Gentle on My Mind, vague memories of my mom listening to 33 1/3 LP's which would play tunes such as these, are stirred and fill me with warm, comforting feelings.  Hard to explain how strong and sentimental those feelings are, but they're yearning of what seemed at least, a simpler time.  And in the music industry, a time when an entertainer took the bare minimum with them to the stage and sang or played for the audience.  

Bare.  Minimum. 

Rest in peace, Rhinestone Cowboy.  This is how I remember you.




our playlist:  Wichita Lineman - Glen Campbell
                     By the Time I Get to Phoenix - Glen Campbell
                     Southern Nights - Glen Campbell
                     Gentle On My Mind - Glen Campbell
                     Rhinestone Cowboy - Glen Campbell

3 comments:

prairiegirl said...

Hopefully, this isn't a selfish post. The feeling was just so strong to pay tribute to Glen's music. Only in the past few years was I downloading Wichita Lineman, a song that I knew from way back, but darned if I had ever listened to it since I remember hearing my mom play it on the record player.

And what a wonderful song Wichita Lineman is, huh? I'm glad Glen did not suffer a long time with Alzheimer's, although what little comfort that would be to his family today. It's still so painful. I thought it was so brave of Glen to want to continue touring even after he had been diagnosed.

I was working on a post to put up tonight, but it can wait until tomorrow.

prairiegirl said...

So pics of Jensen leaving Vancouver, pic of him with good friend Steve Carlson, now this pic of him supposedly "leaving" Austin. I have 3 words: too many hashtags

Anytime I see airline employees posting pics with celebs, I have to side eye them

I'm not convinced. I have no doubt Jared never left Vancouver and I'm thinking Jensen never left either. The pic with Steve Carlson was not necessarily real time. And that airport pic isn't doing it for me either as far as real time believable.

lol. I'm such a hardass anymore. ;-) Not that Jensen couldn't have gone to Austin and Jared stay behind. But since today was a Canadian holiday, then I can't see Jensen being away from the kids on a three day holiday weekend.

Methodical Muser said...

I have to admit I loved "Wichita Lineman" too! Campbell was definitely a central part of the American music and TV scene back in the late 60s and 70s. That was a time where Jimmy Webb compositions were everywhere. I admired the way his family toured with him over the years even as he battled Alzheimer's. Not wanting to hide him away from the public or from what he loved doing.

I still remember his "Glen Campbell - Goodtime Hour". Everyone who was anyone came on that show. In fact, there was an episode with Flip Wilson where they did one of the funniest skits ever to the Beatles' song, "Rocky Raccoon". Check it out on YouTube. I promise you won't be disappointed. There was no one funnier than Flip Wilson back in the day.