Wednesday, August 9, 2017

Ghost Town: The Boarding Up of Yet Another Jake Gyllenhaal Fan Blog






How's that story go?  

Step by step....inch by inch....

It's hard to say when the actual lowering of the curtain occurred for the Jake Gyllenhaal fansite, Wet, Dark and Wild.  By at least early November of 2013, the administrator (who was active on Twitter) was openly trying to find someone to take over the blog.  I say "openly" because literally, an offering for the website was extended to another Jake Gyllenhaal fan via a tweet conversation.  

I know that by January 30, 2014, Wet Dark and Wild was still posting, but by April of that year, I had made an observation that many of the old familiar Jake fan twitter accounts were rarely seen posting on online as they had in the past.  I can't help but attribute this lack of activity to several factors, but likely highlighted by 1) the unexpected passing of popular tweeter @Mermon7 and 2) Jake's movie role choices and large decline in visibility and appeal.

On January 2, 2015, administrator Kate published a goodbye to her readers.  No longer visible online, the following is an excerpt from the post entitled, "Happy New Year and all best wishes as WDW closes its bar doors"


I've had such a wonderful time here over the years and I'm so sad to say goodbye. I think it will be very hard for me in the coming days and weeks. I'm not ashamed to say that I'm a bit teary now. Not surprisingly really, as running WDW has been one of the best and most satisfying things I have done in my entire life. I wouldn't dream of deleting the blog - there are riches in the WDW archives so do dive in! I know I will. Who knows? I may pop back. Never say never again as someone once said. And I can always be found on Twitter if you want to say hello. I will always be Wetdarkandwild. 


Well, look at that.  "I wouldn't dream of deleting the blog".  Looks like the administrator was acknowledging and appreciating the obvious fact that her site was indeed an archive of valuable information.

This past Sunday on Aug 6, M&M and I discovered that at some point along the way, Wet, Dark and Wild had gone totally dark:  aka "no outlet". Aka  "truly nothing to see here".  As late as November 5, 2016, WDW was still visible online because Narnia Dispatches had searched many Jake websites in search of a particular video, and WDW was one of them.  See source

There is a link which will take you to a web page that looks like the fan website, but what you are met with is a statement by someone named Rob Wickings.  His page is dated January 5, 2015.  The following are three excerpts although we have now deleted the URL because a link which is on his site leads to inappropriate content:



[I come to celebrate, not to mourn. But that doesn’t mean I can’t be sad.
In a move last week that tilted the infant 2015 into ‘crappy’, friend of the blog (and good mate IRL) Kate Atherton announced that she was shuttering her long-running Jake Gyllenhaal fan-site, Wet Dark And Wild. I have many feels about this.]



[Rather than just delete the site, Kate’s letting it stand as a monument to past glories. As the designer of the site logo, this pleases me–even if she never did let me use the full res version of the artwork.]



[For now, though, I’m simply glad that WDW is there. A little shot of Gyllenhaal in the dark.]




Hmmm.  "I'm simply glad that WDW is there."  Well, something seems to have happened since that day in January because when you click on his link to see the administrator's goodbye, you are met with a salmon colored web page which tells you the domain is for sale .


At the height of Jake's popularity, there were multiple fan blogs, many inspired after the release of Brokeback Mountain.  Trying to find an active one today will provide an extreme challenge.  Many civilian fan twitter accounts have gone inactive, now replaced by a new breed of "stan accounts", often with some form of "Gyllen" in their tweet name.  These new accounts began springing up like dandelions in 2014 and to this day, continue to sprout.  

Wet, Dark and Wild was a big dog, along with the Dave Cullen Forum website, the original Waiting for Toothy, Gyllenbabble and later on, Oh My Godot.  DC Forum imploded due to a dwindling supply of Fan Fic writers, but also stifling intimidation and censorship. DCF is now a ghost town, although still breathing.  The original Waiting for Toothy is long gone, now replaced by its kindred spawn, Waiting for Toothy 2, a website whose  proclaimed purpose was all about hanging out, with other like-minded posters, waiting for Jake Gyllenhaal to come out of the closet. Much later the site curiously changed to a Jake and Austin blog, but really only to hyper focus on selling the notion that Austin Nichols-Is-Straight, which was completely contrary to everything Ted Casablanca ever wrote about Gray Goose.

Gyllenbabble is still active as well, a good resource for Jake's professional activities, but like the DC Forum, thumbs its nose down at talk of Jake's "personal" life, unless, of course, it pertains to a "new woman".   

Oh My Godot?  OMG is an extensive archive of Jake AND Austin Nichols history dating back to 2007.  Jake's social media team ensured that Oh My Godot would not survive online activity by using a troll(s) to spam discussions 24/7 by 2016 so much so until moderation was a necessity everytime bloggers tried to discuss any topic. Eventually, cyberbullying the blog into silence.  Special K, very much still a Jake-Austin and Family Tile believer, has thankfully kept the blog available in its original form and did recently post, so never say never with Oh My Godot.

This aggressive, silencing attack on free and open discussion however, created the birth of Narnia Dispatches, a closed community where Jake's Team has tried in so many ways to infiltrate, but has continued to be unsuccessful.   Interesting, isn't it, that none of these other Jake Gyllenhaal blogs experienced the foul, relentless trolling that Oh My Godot did?  

It will probably remain a mystery about the total disappearance of WDW, but the picture remains clear that Jake's team are drawing shutters, closing windows, and sealing doors.  The first sign was the firing of Ted Casablanca within six months of Jake signing with WME in 2012, and the expunging has only continued since then.  Articles being deleted from the Internet, links removed, dates altered, twitter accounts suddenly inactive or privated, etc.

Let's just say, it's gettin' mighty lonely out here.  ;-)





pic sources:  Giphy, PBase
our playlist:  Disappear - INXS
                     Thinking About You - Norah Jones
                     That Ain't No Way To Go - Brooks & Dunn
                     Kiss Goodbye - Little Big Town

4 comments:

prairiegirl said...

The paid troll just accused me today of posting "insane lies" on Twitter. Well, let's see. As for the reasons why the disappearance of so many old Jake fans? Yes, my opinion.

But WDW being closed? True.
DC Forum being a ghost town? True.
Many old Jake tweeters now inactive? True.
OMG being spammed to death into silence? True. I lived that one.


Bite it, Mgmnt.

destiny said...

It's sad that she would close it down completely. I get that someone can get tired of something and want to move on, and stop doing new posts, but why take down all that work? And I know blogs belong to the people who run them, but so many commentators contributed to that site too, and now their contributions are gone too.

prairiegirl said...

Agree with your whole comment, Destiny. I don't know, it's very weird. In that excerpt that has the white background, that is from Kate herself. I had the whole statement in an email I had sent.

So no one can see that statement anymore, isn't that strange? Why wouldn't that statement be the one you get instead of that one by Rob Wickings? And in that statement, she said she would "never dream of deleting the blog". I find the whole thing hinky as all get out.

I'd also love to know how WFT2 gets taken over by Jake's people. It still says on the homepage that "Jackie" operates it, but that is obviously a lie. Jackie is nowhere near that blog now. Jake's people run that place. I mean, I guess the owner is approached by the celeb's team and I don't know, are they compensated for handing over the keys? Are they intimidated into it?

Remember Pink Is the New Blog? In September of 2015, Trent wrote a lengthy statement about his blog. This was just an excerpt:


I have to preface my comments about my leaving Pink is the new Blog with the heads up that I am not truly at liberty to discuss many details about what is going on. I can say that the decision to leave PINTB was not mine. A few years ago, the decision was made by me to sell the site to a company that made many promises in the hopes that PINTB could live on and thrive for many years. The deal was a very good one … at the start. Then, matters beyond my control began to adversely affect the health of the blog and well, those matters never really got better. Because I was no longer the one calling the shots, my goal was to keep my head down and continue to write the blog on a daily basis to the best of my ability, with the dwindling resources available to me as I saw fit … as I had been doing from the very beginning. There was no real support and no real investment in the health and survival of the site — and I know that you have noticed.


Remember when that happened?

prairiegirl said...

Let's get some happy music going. I'll see what I can do about that before I take off.

Going to go see The Bodyguard tonight at Starlight Theater. Woohoo! I loved that movie, knew so much of the dialogue by heart. LOL. And it is still my dream that Jake and Austin would do a revival of that movie, Jake can play Rachel Marron's role and Austin would be Frank Farmer. Gives me chills! ;D

Back to the WDW news, again - it is startling, if not kind of shocking. And as we continue to put up Narnia posts, I can't tell you guys how many old links that we've had are now dead ends. Tweets deleted, alot of accounts no longer valid. Of course, people do delete their accounts, but there have been many times, the account is still active but the particular tweet I'm looking for is gone.

This is why many times now, it's just a re-post of the tweet in its original form. I can't embed it anymore, but at least I can make a screenshot of it so people can see that it was valid.