Friday, April 20, 2018

30 Days and 16 Years: A Pin Up History of Jake Gyllenhaal and Austin Nichols - Day 20



We all know that Jake Gyllenhaal has portrayed himself as a Mumford and Sons fan, particularly between the years 2010-2012, when the relationship was exploited in bigly ways to provide Jake with a variety of alibis and distractions. 

In fact, the group played a high profile role in helping to hide Austin's birthday celebration in Marfa, Texas in 2011. Allowing Jake to hide in plain sight during the Railroad Revival Tour, which just happened to include a curious stopover as part of the "experience". A concert in a town of only1,997. A town that Austin had previously revealed to be one of his all time favorite places to be. 

From a November 2009 interview:


Q- If you weren't acting what do you think you'd be doing?
Austin- Oh that would change every week for me. Sometimes I get into different things. At one point in my life I wanted to be a golfer. I used to golf when I was young. Also I wanted to be a professional water skier. Then I wanted to be a sports announcer.

Also I've really been interested in architecture lately. I really want to buy a house and fix it up. There's this incredible artist out there that inspires me, Donald Judd. All of his work is in Marfa, TX. It's a really small town that has kept his work and the buildings that he owned all around it. The town now is really influenced by his style and it's great. I was there to check out recently with some friends and it was amazing.


Following this stunt-filled excursion,  Marcus Mumford became Jake's temporary "playdate" two more years in a row (maybe Mumford's way of paying back Jake for his matchmaking skills and "introducing" him to his soon to be "wife," Carey Mulligan). How convenient that those carefully orchestrated Mumford/Gyllenhaal public appearances curiously cropped-up just around the time of Austin's birthday every year. Because, as we all know, if Jake is seen with another man, well that means Austin must no longer be in his life. *shakes head* Duh! These two would probably still be hooking up if moi had not exposed on Oh My Godot, the three-year stunt of Jake and Marcus being papped together.

What's also particularly amusing is how, just like so many of Jake's acquaintances (Busy Phillips, Mathew Peterson, Adam Levine, Gene Hong, Matthew K. Frost, et al.), Austin appears to be a Mumford and Sons fan too.  

And how do we know that? Well looky here. Austin to the left (yes, that's his ear, hair and height) in a true candid photo, enjoying a little night music in New Jersey during the summer of 2012. Ah, ain't love grand!


August 1, 2012 - Jake and Austin backstage - Mumford and Sons Concert - 
Hoboken, New Jersey (Pier A)





Pic Source:  unsourced
Playlist: Through the Dark - One Direction 
               Blame It On Hoboken -  Sharon Glassman
               To Make You Feel My Love - Bob Dylan

5 comments:

prairiegirl said...

I like this song by 1D. I have downloaded so much of their music now. and no, I don't buy entire CD's. That's always been a fault of mine - I used to buy so many CD's, but never listen to the whole thing. Terrible fault.

With ITunes now ceasing the sale of music next year, I don't know what I'll do. There is another website where I buy MP3's, but they're more of an archive, not necessarily the latest stuff.

I guess maybe Amazon? I hate to keep padding their pockets though, lol.

prairiegirl said...

Hey, I like this second song too, now that I'm listening to it.

Good ol' M&M, always exposing me to different kinds of music and different artists. I had never listened to Bobby Darin until the first time I went to visit and she was showing me a video on him which was quite interesting.

But I don't think I'll ever be a real listener of Bob Dylan.

LOL! Sorrrrry, M&M!

Methodical Muser said...


Looks like that rumor about iTunes going away was not true.

Fake News: Apple Isn't Killing iTunes

prairiegirl said...

Heyyyy what is up with that? Boy, when you can't even believe the news anymore, right?

Fake news everywhere!

Methodical Muser said...

But I don't think I'll ever be a real listener of Bob Dylan. LOL! Sorrrrry, M&M!

Tsk, tsk. tsk. Austin would be very disappointed in you, PG. Dylan is considered one of the most influential figures in music and pop culture for going on six decades now. And just to mention one of his hundreds of accomplishments, Bringing It All Back Home, Highway 61 Revisited and Blonde on Blonde remain three of the most iconic albums of all time. And all were recorded over a 15-month period in the mid-sixties. That's right a 15-month period. AND Blonde on Blond was a double album!!!

I love his voice and his sense of chaos in the world. An authentic iconoclast and true disruptor. And, yet he has also written some of the most beautiful love songs of all time. A true troubadour.

“Well, I'm livin' in a foreign country but I'm bound to cross the line
Beauty walks a razor's edge, someday I'll make it mine
If I could only turn back the clock to when God and her were born
Come in, she said, I'll give ya Shelter from the storm”